With fall baseball starting up again soon I remember back to our last game of the summer and Blake telling us about how when one of the kids got hit in the face with the ball it was like he got “apricot-ed” (see also: uppercut).
Note: It was awful and scary but the boy was completely fine.
This morning Hannah was playing and jumping around and then said, “I just cracked my knee knuckle”. Also known as the knee joint.
We kicked the weekend off with a bang by having our water softener break and spray water all over the basement! Hooray!!! Home repairs are always a rocking good time. Ugh.
I had the afternoon off on Friday (and Brian had summer hours) so while he spent the time getting a new water softener and lining up the repairman I went shopping for the birthday party we had planned for Saturday. We also had the neighbor girl over to help with some of the cleaning (win-win – she got some cash to spend a the village ‘carnival’ and we got someone to do the vacuuming!).
Saturday morning we finished up with the cleaning – my house never looks so clean as it does when we are going to have people over all just to be dirty again the second someone steps inside. I even made the kids eat their meals on the deck so they wouldn’t get the floors dirty! The party kicked off in the afternoon and I think it was a success. After a few years of slaving over the food I have decided that I will cater all parties and I stand by that decision. I’m sure I end up paying more for it in the end but if it means I can actually socialize with people instead of cutting up vegetables and standing over the grill then so much the better. I also had probably two to three times too much food… We had the neighbors over on Sunday night to help with some of the leftovers and we STILL had enough Italian Beef for about 4 more meals. Probably didn’t need 5 pounds and could have done with 2.5 or 3. Ah well. I also overdid it in the dessert department – and while delicious I probably didn’t need to order both cake and cupcakes.
Brian was a HOT MESS though and it was definitely a good thing that the kids went to his parents’ house at the end of the night and we were able to pick them up at lunch on Sunday. I think his 40th birthday ended up alright.
That? Is the white hair streak that will be covered up tomorrow night. I call B.S. on aging (but mostly because the amount of white I have in that spot is about 4 times more than Brian has on his entire head).
1. When you’re exiting your work parking lot and there’s a STOP sign before the street you should actually stop at it and not fly into the crosswalk. There might be a person trying to run across and they have to quickly jump out of the way and run behind your car. If I didn’t work in the same building as this person (not sure who it was) I may have actually slammed on a hand on their trunk like “Wha!?!”
2. What job could I have that would require my only duties to be to read books? Not read and review or read and edit. Just read. Probably no job, I’m guessing, but man wouldn’t that be the best!
3. I need a new running/workout playlist. The cell reception in the gym at work is crappy (and no WiFi) so I can’t get iTunes Radio to stream so that’s out (Amazon sort of works… sometimes) and I’ve been listening to the same Girl Talk album for years now with some embarrassing teen-pop music mixed in.
4. When there is an actual running path and/or sidewalk why are people running in street? Especially along a busy road?
5. We went to the store to get a replacement rainbow loom and they were setting up the Christmas trees and Christmas ornaments. Why?
Speaking of the rainbow loom… Hannah made Brian a necklace for his birthday – she “surprised” him with it by telling him it was for me while she was making it. She also told me it would be, “The most beautiful necklace of his dreams”. He wore it to work on Friday so I think she was right.